Thursday, May 11, 2017

Extreme Weather!

Oh my! We left Burgos this morning with the expectation of rain. We got a lot of wind and a few showers that soaked our pants. By the time the quick dry clothing dried it was raining again. The wind and rain were quite cold. I wore two shirts, one with short sleeves and one with long, my down jacket, my raincoat and gloves! We made a little detour off the main road to stop at a farmacia. As we walked through town looking for the road that connected back to the Camino it began to pour. We took shelter under an old underpass for a while. When the rain calmed down we continued on with the assistance of some workmen who helped us maneuver through a busy intersection with on and off ramps and a round-about too. So we got through all of that just in time for the weather to act up again. By the time we reached the famous, or infamous, meseta the weather was really wild. The last 6 km were scary and brutal. There was no shelter and we were totally out in the open - with wind, driving rain, hail and thunder right over our heads! There was nothing to do except to keep walking, and so we did. When the path headed down we were a bit relieved to be off the high plain. The rain continued until we reached Hornillos. We saw two albergues that were full but a third one had three beds-only. So here we are alive and well, though still chilled to the bone after warm showers. We are paying to use a washer and dryer since everything is so wet. I washed clothes last night, hung them out to dry, then it rained on them! Ahhh, the life of a pilgrim.

Burgos-a tree lined path
A window in our albergue
My bottom bunk! Note that my towel is also a privacy screen (double use for my towel). Between the towel and the wall are a couple of damp shirts that I am trying to dry. I safety pinned them to the top bunk.

City porta-potties!

Leaving Burgos


Emily and Mona in the rain, though you probably can't see it. I had to put my phone away so I don't have pictures of the worst of it, nor do I have pictures of the water that was running down the path and soaking our shoes and socks.
Drying out in Hornillos del Camino...

No comments:

Post a Comment