Saturday, May 13, 2017

A Great Day for Up!

That's the title of a fun Dr. Suess book that fits our day pretty well. We like going up! Our feet and knees are great on the uphill paths. We are probably all doing better but the Camino regimen is demanding and we are tired! We only walked 15-16 km again today . It didn't rain and it wasn't too hot so we were grateful. There were interesting things to see and lots of pilgrims, but it was only kind of an average day. Hmmm, not sure why.

Maybe it's a good day to count our blessings and say thank you.


  • Thank you, thank you to our families and friends for their love and support. 
  • Thanks to the kindness of strangers. Back in Pamplona a woman ran out of her shop to tell us we were going the wrong way. A man driving his van stopped to point out the window to show us we had just missed a turn.  
  • Yesterday Emily dropped her hat and another pilgrim found it and carried it along to ask everyone he passed if ithey had dropped it. 
  • Just today a car pulled up beside us and the driver called out, "buen Camino" to lift out spirits. 
  • A number of pilgrims who know that Mona has been having trouble have asked how she is doing and have offered advice and concern. 
  • Thanks (from Francine) to my KDR Fitness family who did so much to prepare me and encourage me for this trip. Those horrible jump squats paid off! I think the goblet squats and stretchy bands and shoulder MOBS and everything else has helped me to power up hills and dig in with my poles. 
  • And one last thank you ...at dinner tonight we sat with three men, one each from Sweden, Norway and France. I used my extremely limited French to have a conversation with Bernard whose eyes filled with tears as he told us his 24 year old son had died in a car accident. We are thankful for the stories of pilgrims who share so freely with us and touch our hearts. Bonne nuit .

 The path going up in the distance.
Vestments on display in Iglesia de Santa Maria de Manzano (Church of our Lady of the Apple) in Castrojeriz. 



Note the castillo remains on the hill.

Could this be the tower where Rapunzel was locked away?



3 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for my friend who thought to include me for her memorable pilgrimage. Time and space ........ no challenge for you! Happy Mother's Day to you, Emily and Mona! God bless, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you all like the walking up better than the walking down, but the panorama Emily shared with me from a point on or over the top is just spectacular! We never see a vista with that distance here in New England; too many hills, too many trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily and ladies, , Happy Mother's Day! I look forward to your blog every day. Your stories about the pilgrims you meet and the photos you've shared are inspirational. You are powering through crazy weather conditions and aching feet and knees. I'm in awe. God speed
    Leni-lyne

    ReplyDelete