Friday, May 26, 2017

A Walk in the Woods

I had to borrow a title from Bill Bryson because it is so appropriate for our day. We spent most of the day on woodland lanes and paths. It rained off and on all day and was misty at times. It kind of looked like an enchanted forest some of the time.  It was pretty weird that I had the thought "forest primeval" and knew at once that the words came from the poem Evangeline. I think I studied it in high school. (Anyone else from class of 68 remember it?) But why did I remember that?!! I am sure I have never thought of Evangeline in all these years. It's just pretty cool how one's brain works when you go for a walk with nothing on your mind. But then...

Soon it was pouring, and thundering with lightning. We were drenched to the skin and nervous about the lightning. Many, many kilometers later we came to a little cafe and decided to call a taxi. We were already soaked but just couldn't bear any more rain. We were about 7km from Sarria and it was already about 3:30 pm. We made the right decision. By the time we checked into our albergue and cleaned up the sun had come out and soon two out of three of us had new shoes. I won't say who went shopping...but it wasn't me! We had a lovely evening sitting by a fire and drinking orujo (or something like that) with Camino friends. Time for bed.


1 comment:

  1. How the mind can wander when the feet know what to do!

    I thought some of your pictures were straight out of JRR Tolkein and the Lord of the Rings...

    ReplyDelete