Sunday, April 2, 2017

Training in California

Sunday, April 2, 2017

I avoided the April Fool's Day snowstorm, which dropped about 8 inches on Enfield, with a trip to sunny CA. Today Celia drove the boys and me to the Wildlands Conservancy Wind Wolves Preserve in Bakersfield, CA. We hiked, saw some wildlife, had a picnic lunch and then hiked back to the parking area. It was a great day! The temperature was in the 70's and the sky was blue. We hiked 8 miles today, which was great training for the Camino. I walked with my backpack, but it only held water, a book and our lunch. I could have used the trekking poles but they are back in NH. See photos for all the details!



I thought it all looked very Camino-ish...and then I saw this sign:
Here's Gavin enjoying his bocadillo (from Subway) for lunch!

And Cole relaxes on a rock...











Check out the lizard and...a California rattlesnake! We saw two rattlesnakes. The guy in the photo picked up the first one. Then, as we hiked back to the car we saw a second, much larger one, sitting on a rock on the edge of the trail-just inches away from Celia, who walked past it first. When the snake rattled she turned around and  saw it, as did the rest of us. It was scary!

I have lots more pictures of beautiful wildflowers, and grandkids, and a rabbit and beetles, but this is enough for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment