Friday, April 7, 2017

Meet the Peregrinas

Emily
March 31, 2017
Hi, I’m Emily, getting ready for el Camino de Santiago. I’m making a map for my 3 wonderful and so much loved grandchildren to follow my adventure. Also I have 3 grown children and a daughter-in-law. My husband and I adore our family, and I will greatly miss all of them. 


Jazzercise, walking and biking are my 3 physical activities. Wow I guess I’ll reach my walking goal this year!!! I’ve been walking with my hiking SHOES and blister free socks and am up to 10 pounds in a school backpack. Walked 4 miles today and will now use my new backpack and put all my items in it.


Life has been rearranged to get kids to and from school; I hope everyone will miss me. HAHA The pool should be open when I get back. Oh the concerns—being homesick, banos, sun, blisters. But I am ready to cast my fate to the wind and concentrate on the beauty of the flora and fauna, working my body, making friends (even if brief), and enjoying my new hiking friends. Up, up and away—soon.


Mona
     Hi, I'm Mona from San Antonio, Texas.  It's been quite a rough year--divorce, death of my Mom, extensive repairs on our house.  My beloved kids--3 sons, 2 daughters, 2 daughters-in-law- are strongly encouraging me to go on the Camino, to help discern what to do with the rest of my life. They've helped with the funding of the trip, supplied me with gear, and even found two wonderful "peregrinas" from New Hampshire, Francine & Emily, to travel with.  I am very, very blessed!! (Although the offer to stay with my 2 little grand-babies, Emma & Claire, and let their Mama go in my place, is very tempting!)

     I first discovered the Camino in 2007, shopping at the Franciscan University of Steubenville bookstore, when I came across Father Dave Pivonka's book "Hiking the Camino".  As I've always  loved hiking, beach-walking, any kind of walking (my sister calls me the "walkingest" person she knows), Father Dave's book kind of jumped into my hands.

      Fast forward ten years and now I'm actually going to do it, hike the Camino!  It's unbelievable--scary--and I'm totally unprepared--but trying really, really hard to listen to my daughter, Erin, and truly believe "It'll be fine!"

               Santiago, please be our protector and guide


 Francine
I am Francine-wife, mother, granny, daughter, sister....I live a pretty busy life right now with all kinds of projects and responsibilities. My two grown children and wonderful grandchildren live too far away so I spend my time being busy doing all kinds of other things like taking care of my chickens, reading to my storytime friends at the library, helping out at church and in town, spending time with my husband Tony and working out at KDR fitness in preparation for the CAMINO!


Camino de Santiago-what could I possibly be thinking?!  I have lived an amazing, safe, sheltered life but I guess it’s time to step out of my comfort zone. I am excited and terrified. I hope I can do it, I hope I won’t drive my walking friends crazy, I hope I won’t be too homesick. Ultreia!


1 comment: